Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sitting on a rock

I love to go and find a large rock in the middle of a stream with the sun pouring down on it. Many years ago I would go camping up to Algonquin park and find such a rock. After ridding myself of clothes I would plunge in and swim out to it. Climbing up upon it I would first survey the land and then lay back to soak in the rays of the sun.

All matters of consequence were pondered and decisions were made. Then I would drift off in to a state of feeling like a God. After watching the water hit the rock I could predict how leaves floating in the water would be affected by the presence of the rock. It was like sitting on a fence watching two neighbors fight I knew the right answer I was god on a rock. It is easy when you are a god you know everything.

When it is time to leave I did not feel so god like after a few hours of sunning that water was cold I did not care that I had the answers that would save the world and cure all ailments. I just wanted to get to shore and wrap myself up in a towel. Moral of my story it is easy to sit on high and judge what others do by the ideal conditions you see but when you are freezing with the rest of us all you want is a bit of acceptance and warmth.

No comments: