Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas or can I be Santa next year

I have tried to stay away from a vanilla Christmas blog. I just did not feel like re-living the joys of Christmas past I would guess. So I will Grinch a bit. Instead of my childhood Christmas that were truly reflective of Christmas I will recount the joys of Christmas at Grandma that I have be subjected to the tortures of extended family xmas. The horror of transporting small children to grandma every year at a very exciting and emotional time then telling them that if they miss-behave there is a little strange man that hangs around with elves and cleans reindeer poop from his beard , after all birds crap when they fly, he will decide on that one night whether or not to give them coal instead of a present. This after a year of convincing our children that there is no monsters in the closet or under the bed.

Then there is the procession of showing off the little darling to aunts and uncles and people that I never met before but some how became life long family friends this year. Of course there is the petty arguments from the children not the young ones but their parents as they fight for the attention they never got at Christmas from their parents because they were too busy entertaining the unknown relations that seem to multiple with each passing year. So here I am trying to keep my children performing for the mass of adults that are there for drinks and food and don't care if little Johnny can do a magic trick by wiggling a loose tooth. Then there is the interminal question why do we not get together more often that is when I would just like to give them all mirrors as presents and ask then to look at the image in it for the answer. Last there is the statement oh the children are acting up well it is midnight the kids have not sleep in anticipation and the fat guy has not shown up with the presents yet because we are following a Victorian decree that says you must torture the children so they are so near to tears that they open their presents at midnight and at 12:01 will fall asleep crying with joy, not for the present or good times but that it is over.

Is it over yet no now we must trundle them off home and put them to bed so that sugar plums dance in their heads while Mom and Dad put the damm toys together with Korean instructions so the fat guy gets all the credit. Finishing just in time for us to have a tea no not sleep it is time for little voices of cheer and bright eyes to open and rush down the stairs. Ripping through paper and Oggoling bright shiny things sitting on parents laps giving hugs and kisses. Oh well I guess for the hugs and kisses it is sort of worth while but now that they have grown up they are getting a bit heavy on my lap. Have you notice one thing Santa is never home with the family on Christmas eve, this is when I scratch my Grinchey chin and go hmmmmm.

No comments: