Sunday, December 03, 2006

It is the start of Christmas

Yes as usual I am getting a cold so that is the first sign it is Christmas. Plans have been altered because of others being sick. I seem to be on the road a lot yet not going anywhere as much as dropping off and picking up others. The normal family arguments are rising up in the family and list of Christmas gifts growth with of course the ultimate question do you think they will like it.

Ah traditions, it seems to be a tradition to bring your emotional baggage to a head around Christmas . Yes those wonderful period pieces showing lavish parties, dancing and merriment just do not seem to happen at least not for me. It use to be when friends and family mixed freely and all were welcome at your door during Christmas. Now well invitations are given out by who is talking to who and what house is holding the main event . We are slighted when in-laws do not travel thousands of miles uprooting their established traditions every Christmas as if it is written in stone what must happen.

A suggestion was made a few years ago to have a traveling Christmas dinner. entrees at one house then off to another for the main course oh and then desert finally finishing at one house and open the presents. Well the start of world war three. Who was doing what what houses some did not want to walk or travel more than 20 minutes away. Oh we can't go there she over cooks the turkey their house is too small no not enough cars to do that route oh and they do not like them so they won't go in the same car. Christmas carols you want us to sing Christmas carols on the street are yo nuts . Ya I guess that was a bad idea trying to find the fun of the season and bring it out in people. Have them get along for one day of the year hmmm what was I thinking.

So now I portray my self as a Christmas junkie certain decorations go up in November and then the Tree in December. I go out and if I am with someone they will hear me sing a Carol or two. Most will think I was just released from an institute. I will extend my hand to strangers and wish them a Merry Christmas , not a happy Christmas nor happy Holidays. As for my extended family I will be a little more cautious extend my hand as I want it back so perhaps a tip of the hat or a nod will suffice for them.

The tree decorating what fun getting together with friends and family and decorate our trees with a glass of wine. I believe there is not a special way of decorating tree each should have there own life as each only has but one Christmas. Whoa what am I saying noooooo silver balls on every sixteenth branch a blue ornament with a green light are you serious who taught you to decorate ? Santa ah yes it was Santa. A friend told a story of her grandson decorating for her it was a blast for me to hear I could see the wild eyed excitement racing around as if Christmas might pass before he finished as no matter where it when it was perfect in his eyes. Hmmm seem to have lost that part of Christmas some where with the idea of singing carols. I make sure now to not put everything where it is suppose to go. So each Christmas has a character of it's own.

Unfortunately the day I love the most I also dread. I sit and wait for the arguements or to be asked why I spoke to that person. The best is to have my life reviewed by some drunk inlaw telling me how I did not raise my children well as they do come over near this slobbering religous fanatic or thier clothing is not up to his high standard of spilled sauce on white smear by his use of your tablecloth as a napkin. Of course blaming the plate for not being large enough to catch all the food falling from an over stuffed mouth.

When I was young one Christmas I was very sick high fever and all. Sitting on the couch for the nightly tree lighting , back then you could not leave the lights on too long as they over heated, my eyes blurry from the feever saw what I think was fairies dancing on my tree. I watch for the ten minutes and fell asleep with the idea that Christmas was alive and dancing in my tree.


Well now this is Christmas no snow, no carols, fake smiles and well wishes. Gifts have to be larger than last year or at least more expensive. Meals must be low carb with non saturated that and o course non sugar deserts with strange dishes tha tI never saw at Christmas cottage cheese what , no I do not want yogurt on my boild turkey breast with food colouring in it to make it resemble canberry sauce. Who does that to Christmas what did they put in the eggnog oops that is right no egg in thenog as a mater of fact no nog either hmmm that could be the problem.

As for me. I still look with the eyes of child at this time luckily they are old and blurry and seem to see things as I once did as a sick little boy.

2 comments:

morningstar said...

Christmas IS about fairies and singing carols (off key for me) and laughter and lights and never knowing what the tree will look like... and home made Christmas presents that might be a bit ragged around the edges but come truly from the heart..

and grandkids who rush around decorating with the free abandon of childhood.......

morningstar (owned by Warren)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post... yet very melancholic... and I can understand why...
I use to have wonderful Christmas as a kid... and even later, after I had my first kid... Tradition was to go at our grand parents's place for Christmas's Eve... received our present... and have a huge party until 3-4 am... and right back the next morning, getting ready for the Christmas diner that was hold at one of the parents's place... One year, my mom spoiled it all... She decided that she wasn;t to hold the diner and exactly for the reasons you wrote... her place being too small... too much work... too much cleaning after... furnitures being damaged and stained... Well... all the others followed... so now, we have nothing... nothing left than a boring Christmas'sEveat my parent's place... and a boring Christmas diner at the same place with the same shallow family... and yes, arguments, are flying all around the table... No... Christmas isn't a good moment anymore for me... I tried myself to re build the diner at our place... but it didn't work... Anyway... at least, I managed for my baby girl to have some nice memories too... they wont be as mine, but they will be hers... and her's alone...