Friday, December 29, 2006

No turkey on Christmas night

Twas the day of Christmas
and all through the house not a sign of a turkey, not even a grouse
not a leg or a breast not a neck a thigh or a wing
Where to heck was this thing

There was a platter to my chagrin What was the matter?
It was covered in meat balls, gravy, potatoes to get fatter
No stuffing or cranberry sauce nothing but batter

Spring rolls and veggies, Sheppard's pie and dreaded green beans
Asparagus ,bread rolls and turnip, things obscene
I rose to my feet to see what was the matter
I must have looked like the Mad Hatter

No turkey in the fridge no turkey in the oven
this must of been the work of a nasty nasty coven
So there I sat sad little old me
Then a thought hmmm it could have been that tree

That Christmas tree that Christmas tree
yes it had it in for me
From the day I purchase thee
you have had it out for me
but could it have been the tree
oh me. oh my I think I want to cry
No turkey, no stuffing, no meat pie

I ponder the day I ponder the night
and just when Christmas would soon be out of sight
I hear a voice come out of the light
How was my first Christmas dinner tonight
and that made it alright

Saint Nick is an elf with a sleigh and a grey grey beard
A twinkle in his eye he is not to be feared
Nor is one so dear trying to make her wish so clear

I missed my turkey I will not lie
but what my daughter has given me
has at times made me angry , cross and wry
Today, today she brought a smile to my soul and a tear to my eye
all grown up she is no longer five

Traditions are kept but not written in stone
Changes are good they do not break bones
The turkey and I are not alone
we both do live to write our poems

A Merry Christmas to all and all goodnight

family, friends and turkeys did delight

and yes that makes it all just right

1 comment:

morningstar said...

well said !


morningstar (owned by Warren)