Friday, October 06, 2006

October


Fall for me is a time of contemplation and routines. The month of October means morning fires to take the chill out and hopefully make it to November before putting on the furnace. Putting away the final remnants of summer putting flowers to sleep and removal of the tomato plants. It is also the time for pilgrimages. Yes the visiting of those that are related but not to me. So for a week I will travel through Ontario and Michigan giving well wishes and hugs to people that I haul out like Christmas decorations. They have some meaning but it might have been lost in the years that have pasted.

They do not hold my thoughts on life, nor my desires and most definitely not my confidence. They were the brothers and sisters of my wife not more than that . Why do I do this why not give over this time to myself or to my family. A parents wish that their family will be different that your children will be more then family they will be friends. They will not wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas to pop in to see their brothers and sisters. They will not have to wait for Hallmark to establish a new marketing tool to get us all together. Nice sentiments but not happening. Families are meant to spawn and send the offspring off to populate the world. So why is that so hard of a concept for some why do some cling to what was and try desperately to retard the process and at times like these try to bring back a time when admiration was given to your older sibling because he could tie his shoe.

Many of those sibling that had the greatest of respect then inhabit our prison system now. Control on children must be lost at some point for them to grow sometimes it hurts but pain sometimes is a good thing.

Then there is the pre-occupation with the idea that selections made must stay. The hippie you married and thought of spending the rest of you life with in a small cottage in the north now watches the shopping channel and wants to change the car because it looks old well I am old too but like the car I still sort of work.

The difference between family and friends is one you have to and the other you want to, so to appease the shopping channel surfer I off to see the relatives and have turkey or maybe to see turkies and have relatives , who knows.

Happy Thanks giving to all and sorry to the native americans and turkeys as this weekend has made quite a dent in their lives.

No comments: